Auckland: New Zealand Cricket (NZC) Chief Executive David White on Sunday admitted that the board was initially satisfied with security arrangements in Pakistan which is why they sent their team to the country.
New Zealand made headlines around the world when the cricket team called off its ODI and T20 series minutes before the toss for the first ODI between the two sides was scheduled to take place in Rawalpindi.
New Zealand had arrived in Pakistan after 18 years to play a cricket series.
However, a statement released by NZC quotes White as saying that “everything changed” on Friday.
“The advice changed, the threat level changed and, as a consequence, we took the only responsible course of action possible,” he said.
White said that it was unfortunate that the series was abandoned at the last minute, adding that there was no way that it could be held after the intelligence of a potential attack was received.
“What I can say is that we were advised this was a specific and credible threat against the team,” White said.
White said some information had been shared with the Pakistan Cricket Board, however, “specific details could not, and will not, be disclosed – privately or publicly”, New Zealand Cricket chief executive David White said.
“We had several conversations with New Zealand government officials before making the decision and it was after informing the PCB of our position that we understand a telephone discussion was conducted between the respective prime ministers,” he added.
He acknowledged that it was a “terribly difficult time” for Pakistan cricket but reiterated that New Zealand had no other option.