WEB DESK: While talks to end the war have appeared to make little progress in the six weeks since a fragile ceasefire took effect, a main mediator, Pakistan’s Army Chief Asim Munir, was possibly heading to Tehran for more talks on Thursday, three sources told Reuters.
“We’re speaking to all the various groups in Iran to streamline communication and so things pick up pace,” said one of the sources familiar with negotiations. “Trump’s patience running thin is a concern, but we’re working on the pace at which messages are relayed from each side.”
Pakistani Interior Minister Syed Mohsin Naqvi on Wednesday made his second trip to Tehran this week, carrying a message from the United States, and held talks with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi and his counterpart, Iran’s semi‑official ISNA news agency reported.
The impasse has wreaked havoc on the global economy, chiefly due to the inflationary impact of high oil prices.
Trump faces domestic pressure ahead of November midterm elections, with his approval rating near its lowest since he returned to the White House last year.
Tehran submitted its latest offer to the US this week.
Tehran’s descriptions suggest it largely repeats terms Trump previously rejected, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets and the withdrawal of US troops.
Iran’s deputy foreign minister on Thursday restated Tehran’s claims to sovereignty over the strait.
The International Energy Agency says the conflict has produced the world’s worst energy shock.
It warned on Thursday that the peak of summer fuel demand coupled with a lack of new Middle East supply means the market could enter the “red zone” in July and August.
Some ships are managing to transit the strait, but only a trickle compared with the 125-140 daily passages before the war.
Iran’s IRNA news agency said 31 ships had passed in the last 24 hours in coordination with the Iranian navy.
Iran said it aimed to reopen the strait to friendly countries that abide by its terms that could potentially include fees.
“It would make a diplomatic deal unfeasible if they were to continue to pursue that. So it’s a threat to the world if they were trying to do that, and it’s completely illegal,” Rubio said.
Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said their war aims were to curb Iran’s support for regional militias, dismantle its nuclear program, destroy its missile capabilities and make it easier for Iranians to topple their rulers.
But Iran has so far retained its stockpile of near-weapons-grade enriched uranium, and its ability to threaten its neighbours with missiles, drones and proxy militias.
The post US-Iran talks show progress despite deep divide on Nuclear, Hormuz issues appeared first on Karachi News.