LAHORE: A district court in Lahore on Friday cancelled arrest warrants for actor Saba Qamar and singer Bilal Saeed in a case pertaining to the alleged desecration of Wazir Khan mosque.
Judicial Magistrate Jowaria Munir Bhatti had issued the warrants on Wednesday, while setting the bail at Rs30,000 each when the two did not appear for a court hearing.
The two submitted an application via their law firm, contending that they were innocent and law-abiding citizens.
Saeed said he had not received a court summon to date, while Qamar said that she had received a court summons at 10pm on September 7 for the next day.
“Both accused persons appeared before the court and requested to withdraw bailable warrants of arrest issued by this court […] In the interest of justice, same is hereby accepted,” the court order said.
The duo was also ordered to appear at the next hearing scheduled for October 6 and submit personal surety bonds worth Rs30,000 each.
The two became the centre of criticism last year in August after it emerged that they had shot footage inside the historic mosque while working on the video of a song.
A sessions court had directed the Akbari Gate police station house officer to proceed in accordance with the law on an application seeking registration of a case against the two and others for shooting the video.